Here, you will find links to guidance and grants available from ourselves and other organisations that will help you to conserve and enhance the Shropshire Hills.
Click on the links below:
- Planning & the AONB (includes frequestly asked questions)
- Shropshire Hills AONB Agricultural Buildings Design Guide (download)
- Church Stretton Town Design Statement (download)
Farming in Protected Landscapes programme - we can support farmers and land managers to apply for grants for projects to provide benefits to climate, nature, people and place on land in the Shropshire Hills AONB
Grants for tree planting (download) - we are working in partnership with the Woodland Trust to plant more trees in the Shropshire Hills.
AONB Conservation Fund - a small grant pot to support practical projects that help to conserve, enhance and raise awareness of the Shropshire Hills AONB.
Shropshire Hills AONB guidance documents:
- Teme Rivers Water Friendly Farming Guide
- Planting & Caring for Trees Factsheet
- Black Poplar Management & Planting Guidelines
- Alder Coppicing Case Study
Other locally produced guidance:
External links for other good sources of advice and guidance:
Legal obligations on protecting rural landscapes and features. This simple government guide includes an overview on the following:
- funding and cross compliance
- hedgerows and watercourses
- trees and woodland
- dry stone walls
- scheduled monuments
Hedgerow Regulations including guidance on good management of hedges.
Environmental Impact Assessment (Agriculture) regulations. Ploughing or improving uncultivated land or semi-natural areas, and projects that physically restructure rural land holdings (changing field boundaries or adding soil), require permission.
Good practice guide to geological conservation (link to download Natural England publication)
Water Environment Grant - open to farmers in the Teme, Onny & Clun catchments to make their farms future fit.
Getting to Know Your Septic Tank (link to download leaflet, or contact us to send you a copy)
- South Shropshire Climate Action - a comprehensive set of resources can be found on their website including documents, videos and case studies.
- Shropshire Climate Action Partnership - this Shropshire-wide group has developed with a combination of grassroots community initiative, and support from Shropshire Council and Telford & Wrekin Council.
- Stretton Climate Care – Local charity seeking to reduce the carbon footprint of the Church Stretton area. Membership, events and advice.
- Lightfoot Energy Service – Bishop's Castle based not-for-profit organisation offering impartial energy efficiency information and encouragement to help reduce rising fuel poverty and carbon emissions.
- Marches Energy Agency – Shrewsbury based not-for-profit organisation with a wide portfolio of activities and projects.
- Go Green with your Festival (download leaflet)
- Shropshire Council’s Public Rights of Way – A Guide for Landowners and Farmers