Active community-led partnerships are doing vital work in charting the local course to net zero carbon emissions and ecological recovery.
There is much valuable synergy with activity of the AONB Partnership, and we continue to develop this work with both:
This group is focussing on the geographical area of the Ludlow constituency. In May 2021, they launched their Climate Action Plan to reach Net-Zero by 2030. There is an intention to take output of the group to the delayed COP26 meeting being hosted by the UK.
A comprehensive set of resources can be found on their website including documents, videos and case studies.
Click on YouTube link to view a presentation we gave at the South Shropshire Climate Conference in September 2020 - Integrating Climate Change and Nature Recovery Responses
Bringing together organisations, businesses, and communities across Shropshire, through collaboration, knowledge-sharing and empowerment, SCAP will support rapid decarbonisation, large-scale restoration of biodiversity and the natural environment, and the development of the sustainable, resilient, and inclusive communities and enterprises needed for a sustainable future.
This Shropshire-wide group developed with a combination of grassroots community initiative, and support from Shropshire Council and Telford & Wrekin Council.
In February 2020, we hosted an Environment and Climate Emergency Community Networking Event. Representatives from local groups spoke briefly about what they are doing, followed by short presentations, networking time and workshops.
Listed below are the names of the representatives from local organisations and community groups that participated, and links to their presentation slides and other useful resources.
- Jane Cullen, South Shropshire Climate Action
- Tish Dockerty, Ludlow 21
- Charles Edwards, Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre - Grow Cook Learn
- Tim Selman, Middle Marches Community Land Trust
- Manda Scott, Clunbury Parish
- Chris Hillcox, Rewilding Shropshire
- Gary Cowell, Knighton Community Woodlands Group
- Joy Measures, Land, Life and Livelihoods/Clun Forest Farmers
- Jon Keane, Shropshire Cycle Hub
- John Tuer, Severn Trees Trust
- Alison Weeks, Lightfoot
- The Rt Hon Philip Dunne, MP for Ludlow
- Richard Davies, MBE Sustainable Energy Entrepreneur, Beyond enlightened self interest
- Phil Holden, Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership, Net zero and nature recovery for the Shropshire Hills - a brief overview
- David Howard, Stretton Climate Care, One foot after the other - stories from the Strettons
- Mike Kelly, Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership, Tree establishment for climate and nature - where and how
- Robin Mager, Shropshire Wildlife Trust, Nature Recovery Networks at a local level
- Dave Green, Sharenergy, Possibilities for post FiT renewables
- Mike Kelly, Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership, Using publicly available environmental data and mapping
- Lizzie Hulton-Harrop, Middle Marches Community Land Trust, Using Google Maps for project planning
- Dan Wrench/ Richard Hammerton, Shropshire Council, Parish scale habitat/ landscape surveys
- Joy Howells, Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership, Funding for community environmental projects & funding list, Feb 2020
- Stuart Edmunds, Shropshire Wildlife Trust, Camera traps for wildlife surveying