Young people are the future of the Shropshire Hills.
Youth Voice for Nature is for local people aged 17-21 who live in, or near to the Shropshire Hills AONB and who would like to take action to conserve it.
*YOUTH VOICE FOR NATURE - DIGITAL LAUNCH EVENT*
Monday 5th July at 7:30pm
Youth Voice for Nature
Young people are the future of the Protected Landscapes we care about but they are under-represented in the decision making process.
- Take part in an environmental forum in collaboration with the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership. Meetings take place approximately once a month to explore and highlight local environmental issues
- Gain valuable work experience with a conservation organisation and build on your understanding of environmental management issues, on a landscape-scale
- Represent young people's priorities and concerns and take action through a local campaign or project
Set against a backdrop of unprecedented concern for the future of the natural world manifesting in a Climate and Ecological Emergency, AONBs are in a good position to do something POSITIVE about this locally.
- A working group in collaboration with the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership, meeting with peers roughly once a month, to explore and highlight local environmental– your priorities
- Personal development and leadership, by meeting other like-minded young people, by working as a team and by developing communication skills
- Connecting with the AONB landscape to understand conservation issues; to gain insight into the work of the Shropshire Hills AONB and related conservation organisations and networks
- Work to embed young people’s priorities in the governance and future working of the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership
- Project work focussing on a local environmental campaign or issue that you care about, e.g.:
a Local Climate Change Strategy for young people working towards Net Zero, or a Nature Recovery Plan or Species Action Plan for the AONB
Why get involved?
The Shropshire Hills AONB Management Plan 2019-24 specifically makes the development of a youth engagement project one of our top priorities, incorporating elements such as the John Muir Award, Young Rangers and Youth Voice for Nature.
- Be an advocate for nature and an ambassador for the Shropshire Hills AONB, a protected landscape.
- Understand more about your local natural environment and make a positive difference to it
- Develop leadership skills and play an active role in supporting the work of the Shropshire Hills AONB
- Contribute youth perspective to the governance of the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership
- Be part of the work of the Europarc Federation, a network of protected landscapes across Europe
- Build on your knowledge/understanding of the local landscape and of local environmental networks and organisations
For more information please contact:
- Joe Penfold, Young Rangers Project Officer email@example.com
Youth Voice for Nature is supported by the National Lottery Heritage Lottery Fund and the following organisations