Sustainable Tourism Strategy
A Strategy and Action Plan for Sustainable Tourism
In December 2010, the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Partnership, together with Shropshire Council, commissioned The Tourism Company with Alison Caffyn to prepare a sustainable tourism strategy and action plan for the whole of the Shropshire Hills and Ludlow destination, as covered by the Shropshire Hills and Ludlow Destination Development Partnership (DDP).
A focal aspect of the strategy is the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), which relates to all parts of the destination. The strategy has been written to comply with the requirements of the European Charter for Sustainable Tourism in Protected Areas. The strategy equally recognises the key role in tourism played by the market towns, which play a large part in the visitor interest in the destination and contain many of the tourism facilities and services. The strategy is driven by the principles of sustainable tourism, which address economic, social and environmental impacts now and in the future.
The strategy has been based on extensive consultation over four months, including desk research, an online survey of tourism enterprises, five local consultation meetings, one-to-one consultation with over 40 key stakeholders, site visits, a stakeholder workshop and comments received on an interim report.
The Strategy and Action Plan produced by the consultants was made public for a 3 month consultation period, and on 15th September 2011 was formally approved by the Shropshire Hills and Ludlow Destination Development Partnership (DDP), who are now overseeing its implementation.
- Click here to download a 7-page summary of the Strategy
- Click here to download the full Strategy and Action Plan
- Click here to download a press release on the Sustainable Tourism Strategy, 9th June 2011
This project is mostly financed by the Natural Assets programme of Advantage West Midlands, administered by Natural England.
Guiding principles of the Strategy
- · Building an integrated destination, linking the towns and the hills (AONB)
- · Ensuring effective partnership working between stakeholders at all levels
- · Growing tourism spending year round and throughout the area
- · Bringing out opportunities to enjoy the area’s special qualities and distinctiveness
- · Being ambitious about the sustainable aspects of tourism
- · Providing a quality experience for all visitors
Strategic objectives from the Strategy
- . Raising awareness
- . Delivering the hills experience
- . Delivering the market towns experience
- . Delivering the local food experience
- . Orientating and informing visitors
- . Promoting sustainable access and management
- . Supporting local enterprise
For further information contact Phil Holden, Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership on 01588 674088 or Tim King at Shropshire Council on 01743 252257