From hardbacks to hard woods, local beer to baked goods, we have a wealth of sustainable shops and suppliers in the Shropshire Hills. We also have a number of farmers’ markets selling local produce.
The Bookery, Manor Farm, Brampton Bryan, Bucknell, Shropshire, SY7 0DH
Thousands of books in a charming nineteenth-century barn, surrounded by some of England’s most beautiful countryside. Aardvark also have a café in the middle of the bookshop and run several events throughout the year.
Tickmore, Brimfield Common, Brimfield, Shropshire, SY8 4NZ
Appleteme hand presses apples to make apple juice using heritage varieties for depth of flavour.
19 School Road, Clun, Shropshire, SY7 8JQ
Carys supplies cakes to individuals, local shops and cafes in South Shropshire. The area covered ranges from Shrewsbury to Ludlow including Craven Arms, Church Stretton, Clun and Bishop’s Castle.
In addition to being a supplier to local tradespeople, Carys is also to be found at the Bishops Castle Farmers’ Market on the third Saturday.
Bryn Mawr, Newcastle-upon-Clun, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 8QU
Clun Valley Organics is a mixed, family run organic hill farm (known as Brynmawr) situated in the Clun Valley. The farm is managed non-intensively, meaning that the natural environment is cared for as well as producing safe food.
Common Piece Farm, Churchstoke, Montgomery, Powys, SY15 6HU
Real Dairy ice-cream made fresh on the farm using fresh milk from their herd of cows. They also use fresh double cream, which is bought locally – all the ingredients are natural where possible and a very high quality. Along with ice-cream, Dairy Dreams also make fruit sorbets, a refreshing and possibly healthier alternative to ice cream. A large variety of flavours are available to either eat in their ice-cream parlour or to take home and try.
43 High Street, Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6 6BX
A speciality food shop in the centre of Church Stretton, a busy market town in the heart of the Shropshire Hills.
Newhouse Farm, Tenbury Road, Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, DY14 8RD
Hobson’s Brewery is a local independent brewery based in Cleobury Mortimer, who produce a series of 7 beers all brewed using the finest quality locally sourced ingredients.
Hopesay, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 8HD
Hopesay Glebe Farm is a family-run organic smallholding growing mainly organic vegetables, organic eggs, honey and organic mutton, with a tea-room and one holiday let. They are members of Demeter BDAA Organic and also run tours and educational visits for schools and other groups.
Pentreheyling, Shropshire, SY15 6HU
Kerry Vale Vineyard is a small, family run, English vineyard situated on the Welsh / English border of rural Shropshire – one of Britain’s most beautiful counties. It is the perfect location from which to explore the surrounding area with a fascinating history and numerous walks and attractions nearby. The Vineyard Kitchen, Wine Café and Cellar Door shop are open throughout the season for morning coffee, lunches and afternoon tea. You can book a vineyard tour, or purchase tour vouchers and gift vouchers. You can even adopt a vine for that special unusual gift.
Bromfield, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 2JR
A unique food emporium where farming, food production and retail come together. See your food being made through windows in the shop, try local specialities and freshly roasted coffees in the cafe and take some great food home to enjoy.
Suite 9, The Old Bakery, Bennett’s Business Centre, Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5 0RR
Quest 88 supply the latest electric cycles as well as adaptive cycles for all ages and abilities. Test rides are available as well as heaps of friendly advice and encouragement, whether you are serious or just curious about cycling.
Rhos y Meirch, Knighton, LD7 1PD
Growers and providers of organic vegetables, fruit and flowers.
7 Castle Street, Ludlow, SY8 1AS
SC Price’s are an award-winning family bakery in Ludlow with a long tradition of producing traditional English and Continental breads, cakes and pastries. Price’s bread is handmade, the old-fashioned way – with a long fermentation process, quality flour, and no flour improvers or artificial enhancers. They use Shipton Mill flour from Tetbury in Gloucestershire, and Bacheldre Mill from near Churchstoke in Powys.
Pound House, Union Street, Bishops Castle, Shropshire, SY9 5AJ
Supplier of local timber and joinery materials and joinery products sourced from professionally managed local woodlands, all within the Shropshire Hills AONB, paying particular attention to the well-being of the woodland. Shropshire Hardwoods is a GOLD certificate member having met their sustainability targets for over six years.
School Road, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 9RS
The Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre offers a range of activities and opportunities for everyone and anyone.
You could simply pop in for a cup of tea in the cafe, buy a card from the Gift Shop, take a wander round the Onny Meadows or visit the latest exhibition in the Gallery.
Acorns, Mill Lane, Leintwardine, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 0LA
The Fabulous Cob Oven Company design and build fabulous cob ovens. They run workshops at schools, visitor and community centres – everyone should have a cob oven!
16 Market Square, Bishop’s Castle, Shropshire, SY9 5BN
The philosophy at The Three Tuns Brewery is simple – they aim to produce exceptional beer that you, the drinker, will remember – and want to taste again.
3 High Street, Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6 6BU
Van Doesburg’s specialise in quality food, cooked on the premises using fresh ingredients, free of additives or preservatives. They produce a variety of delicious salads, quiches, pies & casseroles, desserts & cakes to take away.
Wistanstow, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 8DG
Brewer of cask and bottled beers. The Wood Brewery started in 1980 in buildings adjacent to the Plough Inn in Wistanstow.
Shropshire Hills Farmers’ Markets offer a variety of seasonal produce. For more details regarding any of the markets please contact them directly.
- Bishops Castle Farmers’ Market
- Bishops Castle Farmers’ Market is held on the 3rd Saturday of every month in the Town Hall and the adjacent Market Square. 8.30am to 1.30pm.
- Clee Hill Farmers’ Market
- Monthly Farmers Market held at the Recreation Rooms, 22a High Street, Clee Hill, SY8 3LZ, on 1st Saturday of the month, excluding August – 9-11.30am.
- Cleobury Country Farmers’ Market
- Monthly Farmers Market in and around St Mary’s Church, Church Street, Cleobury Mortimer, DY14 8BX on the 3rd Saturday of the month. 9am-12noon.
- Knighton Community Market
- Knighton Community Centre, Bowling Green Lane, Knighton, Powys, LD7 1DR
- A twice monthly market, held on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month. 9.30am-12.30pm.
- Ludlow Local Produce Market
- Castle Square, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 1AS
- Local to Ludlow Produce Market is held on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month. 9am-2pm.
- Much Wenlock Farmers’ Market
- A small market held at the Buttermarket under the Guildhall, Much Wenlock, TF13 6EN and at the Corn Exchange. Please see weblink above for full details.
- Rea Valley Local Produce Market
- Indoor Market, Minsterley Parish Hall, Minsterley, Shropshire, SY5 0BA
- A bi-monthly Sunday market with plenty of good quality local, fresh produce and crafts, cafe and entertainment. FREE Parking. 10am – 2pm.
- Shrewsbury Indoor Market
- Hope House, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1 1QG
- Sells local produce – meat, fruit, vegetables and dairy and some organic & local. Open Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 8.00am till 4.00pm. Some stallholders trade on a Thursday – click here for full details.