In this section are publications from us and other organisations, and links that will help you to conserve and enhance the AONB.
See also our Planning pages.
Conservation and Land Management
Shropshire Hills AONB guidance documents:
- Teme Rivers Water Friendly Farming Guide
- Planting & Caring for Trees Factsheet
- Black Poplar Management & Planting Guidelines
- Alder Coppicing Case Study
Other locally produced guidance:
External links on other good sources of advice and guidance:
- Simple guide to legal obligations on protecting rural landscapes and features:
Includes Overview, Funding and cross compliance, Hedgerows and watercourses, Trees and woodland, Dry stone walls, Scheduled monuments.
- Hedgerow Regulations and guidance on good management of hedges
- Guidance Notes for Application for Hedgerow Removal Notice www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/1app/guidance/guidance_note-hedgerow_removal_notice.pdf
- Ploughing or improving uncultivated land or semi-natural areas, and projects that physically restructure rural land holdings (changing field boundaries or adding soil), require permission under the Environmental Impact Assessment (Agriculture) regulations.
- Good practice guide to geological conservation (Natural England) publications.naturalengland.org.uk/publication/83048
- Tree planting – advice and funding support available from Woodland Trust through MOREwoods scheme.
Water and Resource Protection
Recreation, Tourism and Events
- Go Green with your Festival
- Managing public access – a guide for land managers
- Shropshire Council’s Public Rights of Way – A Guide for Landowners and Farmers
- Shropshire Hills & Ludlow DDP Brand Guidelines
Energy and Climate Change
Local Advice and Grant Schemes:
- Household Energy Service – Run by Light Foot Enterprises, Bishop’s Castle. Tel. 0785 4458 786. Home energy survey visit and reports within a 10-mile radius of Bishop’s Castle.
- Stretton Climate Care – Local charity group established September 2007, seeking to reduce the carbon footprint of the Church Stretton area. Tel. 07528 493181. Membership, events and advice.
- Marches Energy Agency – Tel. 01743 246007. Shrewsbury based not-for-profit organisation with a wide portfolio of activities and projects.
- Rea Valley Environmental Network – a local group formed in Autumn 2008, which focuses on sustainability issues. Meetings and newsletter.